Movement has proven to help reverse or delay some of the age related changes that happen in the body. In order to live a happy, healthy life as you grow older daily movement needs to be incorporated into your routine.
View Movement as an opportunity, not an inconvenience
How you incorporate movement into your life will largely depend on your lifestyle and preferences but it can certainly be done if you make small changes over time. This can be done in a variety of ways:
- Take phone calls standing up
- Take frequent breaks during the day – 5 mins in every hour is ideal
- Get up and walk about during the commercial breaks when watching TV
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator or lift
- Park further away from work or the shops and walk
- Walk or cycle with your kids to school
- Get an allotment - gardening can provide an excellent workout with all the pushing, bending, squatting and carrying involved.
- Organise family days out – walking, surfing, swimming, cycling etc many are free and take a healthy picnic with you
TIP – keep a pair of comfortable walking shoes or trainers in the car or office